Pulse Home Health in New Orleans
HomeContact UsOur ServicesService AreaArticles

Home Health Articles

Pulse Home Health Care practices skilled health care procedures firmly rooted in the latest research and best practice policies. We routinely mail bulletins to physicians and other medical referral sources to highlight how we help patients and to explain the scientific basis for different services. Here we share selected physician bulletins about Pulses' Home Health Services. If you have questions about how home health could help you, please contact us today.

Bouncebacks Will Harm Hospital Revenue

Use Pulse to Prevent Unnecessary Hospitalizations

Cardiac Rehabilitation Physical Therapy in New Orleans LA“Bouncebacks” is the term doctors often use to describe patients who must be readmitted to a hospital within 30 days of discharge.  The health reform legislation passed last year is poised to reduce overall Medicare payments to hospitals with higher rates of 30-day readmissions for pneumonia, heart attack, or heart failure patients. Hospitals with higher 30-day readmission numbers may see a 1% drop in overall Medicare payments in 2012, a 2% drop in 2013, and a 3% drop in 2014.  Doctors and discharge planners have the next twelve months to compete with other hospitals nationwide and be leaders in preventing unnecessary readmission. 

If the health care industry is able to reduce rehospitalizations by 1%, not only would patient recoveries be proceeding better, but the nation would save $170 million in Medicare spending.  If rehospitalizations can be reduced by 10%, the nation will save $1.7 billion in Medicare spending.  While 17.6% of hospitalized patients are re-admitted to the hospital within 30 days, the majority of re-hospitalized patients are older and managing multiple chronic diseases.  Numerous, proven strategies for preventing rehospitalization exist.  Among these strategies is better utilization of home health services designed to improve care transitions, improve recovery, improve management of chronic diseases, and ultimately prevent re-hospitalizations. 

Several studies now demonstrate that for cases of community acquired pneumonia that are mild to moderately-severe, patients can receive care at home that is equally safe and effective compared to hospitalization.1-5  In addition, for cases of heart failure, post myocardial infarction, and after revascularization procedures, a large meta-analysis found home-based rehabilitation not inferior to center-based rehabilitation.6  Cardiac rehabilitation reduces rehospitalizations and reduces all-cause mortality by 24%.6-8  Prescribing cardiopulmonary rehab from Pulse Home Health Care has the advantages of Medicare paying 100% and maximizing patient convenience.  While case managers and specialists often refer to home health services, it is appropriate and encouraged that general practitioners prescribe such home health services if they are the doctors patients will call after hospitalization.           


Most Patients Pay Nothing for Home Health

  • Patients pay nothing for home health when they qualify for services and have Medicare.
  • Medicare encourages home health episodes designed to decrease the risk of hospitalization, because the investment in patient health saves Medicare thousands of dollars in the long run.

 

Please offer Pulse Home Health Care to your patients.

2325 Severn Ave, Ste 5 Pulse Home Health CareMetairie LA 70001 Pulse Home Health Care(504) 831-7778

Physical Therapy Brochures